Landrover Restoration

January 31, 2008

Gearbox mounts - Life wasn’t meant to be easy

Filed under: Gearbox — Steven Rowlandson @ 8:07 pm

Today the Gearbox mounts arrived. Yay! I stupidly had ambitions of a few hours work to get the mounts in, engine in. How wrong. After some fiddling and cursing, a decision was made to remove the seat box to fully expose the gearbox. 10x 7/16″ bolts across the back, 8 were brand new so easy to undo with the impact air gun at least :) and the 4 x 1/2″ bolts and the box was out. The mounts were corroded and rusted solid. Some heaving on them with the trusty JBS breaker bar and they were out. I have to unbolt the 4 (18mm - weird size?) bolts holding the plate to the gearbox to get the passenger side mount off the plate. This nut was another odd size, rusted solid and seized. Some time on the air grinder to grind the head down , hitting chiseling, air chisel, hammer, vice grind eventually anger and frustration and the hammer saw it break. I now need 4 nuts for the new mounts (which i’ll get on Saturday) with a box of 9/16″ bolts to bolt the mounts back in and replace the bolts in the tail shaft when the rear axle goes in. the good news today was the Single Hex, deep Snap on 3/8″ drive Snap-on sockets I ordered arrived :) Yay! Just awaiting the hinged 3/8″ drive ratchet now :)    

January 30, 2008

1st Rear Spring

Filed under: Suspension — Steven Rowlandson @ 8:08 pm

About a week ago I unbolted the rear springs ready to roll the axle assembly out for change over to one I bought from Slunnie as it was already rebuilt with new seals and the likes and I could then restore mine later as a ’spare’ I decided against new springs as the old ones looked fine so it was a case of swapping them over. Like EVERYTHING on the Ute, it was COVERED in thick surface rust. The bolts were firm but magically came undone with the help of the breaker bar and some hard turning. New U bolts, nuts etc will be ordered shortly from our new pals at Roverparts. I unbolted the leaf packs and removed the bottom 3 leaves and gave everything the once over by hand with the wire brush, cleaned it up with some degreaser and a light sand with some emery paper. A good go with the Angle grinder with wire brush should see them all good as new, for re assembly wih graphite grease between the leaves and a quick coat of the trust Chassis Black paint to give it the good as new shine. One side is 50% complete. Yippee.

January 29, 2008

New Lights

Filed under: Electrical — Steven Rowlandson @ 9:29 pm

The original SII lights are getting harder and harder to get, although modern 110 / Defender lights look similar and do the job nicely. At around $22 a piece, they are easy to obtain and I picked up a full set from www.roverparts.com.au and had them the next day sent via courier. Great service.    

Clutch pedal assembly and master cylinder

Filed under: Body Work — Steven Rowlandson @ 8:08 pm

I bought a kit from www.landrovers.com.au to rebuild the clutch master cylinder, simple task, took about 20 minutes to fit and rebuild. Painted up the pedal assembly ready for refit.  

Air cleaner all painted

Filed under: Body Work — Steven Rowlandson @ 8:06 pm

Air cleaner is painted clean and ready for re fitting.  

Progress

Filed under: Body Work, Engine — Steven Rowlandson @ 5:27 pm

Well, no update for a while but it was due to nothing happening on the Landrover. Since the last update, I have purchased a full set of lights (2 park, 4 Turning (amber) and 2 stop tail) lights for www.roverparts.com.au, as well as a new fuse box, and workshop manual. Very helpful and friendly service from Rover Parts, and I have since used them again to grab 2 gearbox mounts which I managed to break whilst trying to put the replacement engine in. Once these arrive I will hopefully get the new engine in and running. I have also rebuilt the clutch and brake master cylinders and managed to paint all the floor components only having to remove them from the car again to fit the engine. It will be good to get the cab back together.   Photos of the parts / progress Lights, Manuel , Fuse Box wFreshly painted Chassis   


January 2, 2008

Sand and paint, sand and paint!

Filed under: Body Work — Steven Rowlandson @ 11:06 am

Progress slowly ticks on with the top and bottom section of the half cab being painted. Some more welding to fix some rust holes in the chassis have been repaired. The aim is to have the body ‘back together’ asap and an order is being prepared for www.landrovers.com.au for body rubbers, brakelines and master cylinders as well as a clutch. More photos to come this week.






Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com

Powered by WordPress