Landrover Restoration

February 4, 2008

Broke a new gearbox mount - bummer

Filed under: Gearbox, Body Work, Engine — Steven Rowlandson @ 8:17 pm

Well, having attempt 4 of putting the engine in, i nearly got it, the bottom had about a 1 inch gap and the top was going well, I had a trolley jack under the gearbox lifting the front of it up a tad and the engine crane trying to angle the engine ‘just right’. Unfortunately, it was just out, and BANG, the gearbox mount I had put in earlier torn. I have ordered another and will be extra careful next time. Another blow was the 3 1/2″ UNC threaded bolts I picked up for the sole purpose of using to wind the engine into the gearbox have now got stripped heads from hitting them with the air impact gun when they were not properly aligned. Double Bummer, as I will have to remove them with the vice grips - slow and steady! Another trip to the Metric Men in Keilor Park Dr Tullamarine on Saturday for 4 more bolts.¬†After my frustration, i did manage to paint up a spring pack and also the underside of the drivers floor, the new rear diff housing and the chassis under the passenger compartment with Chassis Black - all looking the goods now and I should have the rear suspension back in within the next few nights, just awaiting on the new U Bolts and nuts to arrive (From www.roverparts.com.au of course)(its much easier to put things together with new bolts - which will be my theory with everything I put together - ALWAYS USE NEW BOLTS THEY ARE CHEAP!¬†






Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com

Powered by WordPress