Landrover Restoration

April 25, 2009

Re packing the front wheel bearings

Filed under: Brakes, Drivetrain — Steven Rowlandson @ 7:18 pm

Well, even though the Axles I replaced were in good order, I had a few hours to spare and thought i would take a look at the wheel bearings. Good job too as they needed doing!First step was to tap the locking tabs back with the trusty punch and hammer then undo the 6 9/16″ bolts with the Snapon Deep 3/8″ drive socket and Flex head DT80 Snap on ratchet :)A quick degrease to get in there with the side cutters to remove the split pin and undo the 11/16″ castle nut with the Snap on 11/16″ shallow socket. Next was the Axle nuts. I have a big Axle Nut box spanner, but, for modern metric 4wd’s, not to worry, it did the job after the locking taps were tapped back flat.The bearings were removed, repacked in new wheel bearing grease and refitted. All up it took about 45 mins per side. Adjusting the brakes was a VERY easy task considering the setup i used to have on my hilux. 2 simple 11/16″ bolts to tighten to adjust the brakes. Easy!

March 22, 2008

Back to work…

Filed under: Suspension, Drivetrain — Steven Rowlandson @ 3:43 pm

Due to being on the later shifts, and it being¬†unbearably¬†hot on weekends, I haven’t touched the Land Rover for a month. But.. Today.. I painted the bottom of the Passenger floor and also re fitted the rear axle/ spring setup. All good this far. Just have to bolt the front spring hangers and put the wheels back on. Next phase will be remove and exchange the front diff/axle housing for the new unit I picked up from Slunnie and then fit the engine. Hopefully get this beast mobile before too long (then its time to make it stop!






Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com

Powered by WordPress