Landrover Restoration

February 4, 2008

Broke a new gearbox mount - bummer

Filed under: Gearbox, Body Work, Engine — Steven Rowlandson @ 8:17 pm

Well, having attempt 4 of putting the engine in, i nearly got it, the bottom had about a 1 inch gap and the top was going well, I had a trolley jack under the gearbox lifting the front of it up a tad and the engine crane trying to angle the engine ‘just right’. Unfortunately, it was just out, and BANG, the gearbox mount I had put in earlier torn. I have ordered another and will be extra careful next time. Another blow was the 3 1/2″ UNC threaded bolts I picked up for the sole purpose of using to wind the engine into the gearbox have now got stripped heads from hitting them with the air impact gun when they were not properly aligned. Double Bummer, as I will have to remove them with the vice grips - slow and steady! Another trip to the Metric Men in Keilor Park Dr Tullamarine on Saturday for 4 more bolts. After my frustration, i did manage to paint up a spring pack and also the underside of the drivers floor, the new rear diff housing and the chassis under the passenger compartment with Chassis Black - all looking the goods now and I should have the rear suspension back in within the next few nights, just awaiting on the new U Bolts and nuts to arrive (From www.roverparts.com.au of course)(its much easier to put things together with new bolts - which will be my theory with everything I put together - ALWAYS USE NEW BOLTS THEY ARE CHEAP! 

January 31, 2008

Gearbox mounts - Life wasn’t meant to be easy

Filed under: Gearbox — Steven Rowlandson @ 8:07 pm

Today the Gearbox mounts arrived. Yay! I stupidly had ambitions of a few hours work to get the mounts in, engine in. How wrong. After some fiddling and cursing, a decision was made to remove the seat box to fully expose the gearbox. 10x 7/16″ bolts across the back, 8 were brand new so easy to undo with the impact air gun at least :) and the 4 x 1/2″ bolts and the box was out. The mounts were corroded and rusted solid. Some heaving on them with the trusty JBS breaker bar and they were out. I have to unbolt the 4 (18mm - weird size?) bolts holding the plate to the gearbox to get the passenger side mount off the plate. This nut was another odd size, rusted solid and seized. Some time on the air grinder to grind the head down , hitting chiseling, air chisel, hammer, vice grind eventually anger and frustration and the hammer saw it break. I now need 4 nuts for the new mounts (which i’ll get on Saturday) with a box of 9/16″ bolts to bolt the mounts back in and replace the bolts in the tail shaft when the rear axle goes in. the good news today was the Single Hex, deep Snap on 3/8″ drive Snap-on sockets I ordered arrived :) Yay! Just awaiting the hinged 3/8″ drive ratchet now :)    






Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com

Powered by WordPress